Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Yummy yarn broke my heart

Under the heading of "never too experienced to be humbled by gauge" I bring you the following tale of heartbreak and (row) gauge betrayal.

With the combination of a pending birth within our circle of friends and a %30-%50 sale at the LYS around the corner from where I work I went a little mad and bought a mess of Silk; Silk and Cotton; Cotton and wool. I got gauge (stitch per inch) on all yarns and started out making the Modern Baby Blanket from Mason-Dixon Knitting. mmmmm 3 different textures, 4 different colors... this is going to be WILD!!


Some of you out there already see the problem, don't you?


After doing 4 blocks of this modernized log cabin blanket, I stood back and looked at what should have been a tidy rectangle and saw this:I DIDN'T CHECK THE ROW GAUGE!!!

I tried to convince myself that "it will even out with steam blocking" but let's face it; there ain't enough steam or pins in the world to fix this!

So, I'm ripping the faded blue denim block at the top by frogging it out as I knit it into a baby kimono (also from M-DK). Meanwhile, I must plan another trip to LYS to try and come up with enough of the Berroco Touche in 3 other colors. That yarn feels like the perfect yarn for a baby blanket.

Guess I'll just have to come up with something for myself out of the silk and cotton/silk yarn.

Darn. ;-)

No comments: