Wednesday, January 10, 2007

How it started: Part The First

I learned to crochet and knit (but not bind off) when I was a child. My mother didn’t know how to “end” with knitting, so we had this big bag in the closet with a long strip of knitted fabric that we would pull out and work on when we had the urge to knit. Oddly enough I lost interest in this pursuit at a very early age.

When I went to college, I decided to lean how to really knit. I took a class at a Local Yarn Store (LYS) (http://www.depthoffieldyarn.com/) and learned the hard way that I’m very allergic to mohair. (The rose pink sweater is still in my possession, though I haven’t worn it in 15 years or so). Oddly enough, I lost interest after blowing sixty precious student dollars on a sweater I couldn’t wear without taking benadryl. In the late mid ‘80s, that was a lot of money for a student! My portion of the rent was around $120!

So, about 2 years ago, my sister-in-law went through a phase and was struggling with casting on. I helped her out and was amazed at how quickly it came back to me. I dug out my old knitting bag and made a lame vest with some old Lion Brand homespun I had from when I last gave up knitting (circa late mid ‘80’s). A quick trip to a real yarn store along with the discovery of www.elann.com and I was hooked once again.


No comments: